So I am all settled in at Southern Cross. My nurse is a lovely lovely lady who has done all the paperwork, made me shower with the beautiful surgical scrub (thanks to those who warned me not to worry about showering this morning cos I would have to do it again) and then cleaned my belly button so its all squeaky and shiny.
I've been moved slightly further down the surgery list apparently. There are a few day patients they wanted to operate obviously because they need to be discharged today whereas I am staying the night. Got to choose my menu for the next three days ..... hmmmm coffee, broth, coffee, broth, iceblock. Can't say right now it sounds overly brilliant but this is just the bits that I have to get out of the way. Having the surgery and the recovery period is a time to get through. I know that things will improve so my aim is to stay as positive as I can under the circumstances knowing what the prize at the end is. A healthier more active Julz.....
Edit: 11.17am
My nurse just came in to give me my medication to avoid blood clots. It goes into the stomach. Ouch. Needle itself wasn't too bad but it's stinging slightly. Have to have these injections every day for the next few days. Happy joy. As well, Im wearing a patch behind my ear to help with nausea. Here's hoping it does the trick. I have been told to keep on top of the pain and if I feel any nausea post op to tell them immediately as any retching is not good for the newly formed stomach. She also informed me my surgery will definitely be after 12 as the surgical team have to have a break. They better make it quick. Im starting to get the shakes from not eating *disgruntled face* Oh and the hospital bed is giving me a sore butt.
Edit: 12.43
Just met Brian my sleepy doctor dude. What a lovely guy. Explained to me a little again about the procedure of putting me off to sleep, listened to my heart, checked out my veins AND - told me I was tiny. ME - tiny!!!!! I almost fell over - it was actually a real buzz - he reckons I have done really well on preop diet so happy with me. Won't be going near theatre until after 12.51 as staff will be observing the 2 minutes silence for Canterbury earthquake victims.
Gosh, chickie - you write so well! It's wonderful that you're not afraid to get in there and tell it like it is. You are one strong woman. Thinking of you right now. xxx
ReplyDeleteHey hun - you must be out and back in your room by now. Obviously things will be a bit tender and you will be tired. Just remember to get up and walk up and down the hallway lots to get rid of the gas!!!!
ReplyDeleteYou might also meet the other patients by doing it.
Hugs and welcome to the loser bench
Thinking of you- as Ali says- you are writing it good- it feels positive x
ReplyDelete