Saturday, March 5, 2011

Home sweet home

Golly it's so good to be back home again.   Hugging my kids last night was just the best thing ever, especially since at one stage yesterday it looked like that was very unlikely.   

So the story goes like this.    Ring and order a shuttle with Airport Super Shuttle Hamilton for 2.15pm (latest flight check in is 3pm and it's around a 15/20 minute trip).    I was sitting at reception well before 2pm just reading a magazine.    2.15 came and went, so did 2.30 by which time I was getting quite anxious.   At 2.35 my cellphone rings, it's the shuttle company, they are sending a taxi and it is going to be 10 minutes away.    By this stage both the receptionists at Southern Cross Hospital were aware of what was going on.    When the taxi STILL hadn't turned up at 2.45 by which stage I had burst into tears at the thought of missing the flight and not getting to see my family, the amazingly wonderful receptionist Cherene bundled me into her personal car and started driving to the airport.    I rang Air New Zealand to explain my plight, knowing we would not make final check in time by this stage and when I finally got through was told the flight was running late anyway.    God I've never been so grateful for a late flight ever in my entire life.      I was so amazed by the generosity of Cherene, offering a complete stranger a lift and even a bed for the night if I missed my plane (she insisted on coming into the airport to make sure I got on or otherwise "I'm taking you home to my spare room for the night".    Talk about service above and beyond that which is expected in one's job.   She refused my offer of paying for her petrol and time so by golly once I feel up to sorting it she will be getting a package in the mail for sure.   

So am doing ok on the eating front.   Don't really have an appetite so have to force myself to eat.   Dinner last night was a few teaspoons of hummus and it tasted SO good.    It was nice to have flavour again.   I also had a tiny taste of the hubbys pasta sauce too.    I must admit to being kinda scared  of overeating, I have absolutely no idea what full/satisfied means.    Still in a bit of pain, the shoulder tip pain is the worst at the moment, thought I had dodged a bullet there but obviously not.    My wounds are annoying, one in particular bled quite a bit and now the blood is dried it hurts when I move.    I can take the dressings off today so hopefully that will help.   The burping isn't much fun, Im really hoping that eventually dies down.    I seem to be burping constantly almost.    

Slept like a log last night, even managing to sleep on my side which was utter bliss after having to sleep on my back in the hospital.   Sure made for a solid nights sleep.   

Anyway, thats about it for today, think it's safe to go and have a drink now.    I think it will take a bit of getting used to not being able to eat and drink at the same time and figuring out when to do which.   I always used to be a get up and have a couple cups of coffee before I even thought about food girl but somehow I think that might have to change which sucks but thems the breaks.

Ciao for now

Julz :)

PS - even though everyone says not too, I jumped on the scales this morning and have lost a couple of kilos since the day I left for surgery - WIN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment