Wednesday, March 2, 2011

8.19am - day two!

So all went well with the surgery.    I headed up somewhere around 1pm yesterday.   Scooted across from my bed to the tiny theatre bed and got hooked up with all sorts of machines!    Brian the anaesthetist gave me some "margaritas on the beach" through the drip he so carefully put in my arm and then it was all on.   Felt sleepy and woozy and the next thing I know I was waking in recovery!

Recovery from operations is never much fun, oxygen mask, bits of pain in unknown places, sore back from lying flat so in went the lure for the morphine and I kept dozing away on and off.

I have no idea what time I came back from my room, and those first few hours are definitely fuzzy.   Regular obs of temperature,  the little finger pulse thing and the blood pressure cuff going up and down doing it's thing meant just as I would drift to sleep I would wake again.      I vaguely remember it being 8pm from which time I went to 2hrly monitoring which gave some time to nap.     At 10pm my nurse suggested I get out of bed and sit on the side (oh and try to go loo - which was not successful).    At 12pm we had success though so all good.    Come 2am she made me walk the corridors -  yes two o'clock in the bloody morning - rude if you ask me~!!!       Come 6am I was pretty sore so got me some more of the magical morphine which both helped the pain and sent me to noddy land.    

Woke at 8am to my "breakfast" being delivered.   Breakfast is a tiny cup of coffee but oh god it's so nice to be drinking something as until now it has been only ice chips to suck.   As soon as I can get drinking properly they will take me off the drip, which is a good thing as my drip arm is getting a bit swollen.

Anyways, outta here for now, this blogging thing is tiring.

1 comment:

  1. Glad it all went well Julie x Coffee for breaky- well you'll need that- with all that getting up at 2am and walking the lonely corridors LOL x

    ReplyDelete